“Come back home, come back to Anandpur.” – Sant Jarnail Singh Bhindranwale
This design concept originally came from @chaninattan in a conversation we were having about Sant Ji. With so much history originating from Anandpur, it made sense to put something together. Anandpur is one of the most sacred places for Sikhs. Our religious traditions and history is embedded within Anandpur and continues to flow through present day. Guru Tegh Bahadur Ji, our ninth guru and one of the world’s greatest martyrs, founded Anandpur in 1665 as he purchased this piece of land from the larger Bilaspur. This new village was initially named Chakk Nanaki, after the guru’s mother, Nanaki. On Vaisakhi of 1699, Guru Gobind Singh Ji sent out invitations for all Sikhs to attend a special gathering in Anandpur. It is here that Guru Gobind Singh Ji announced that the Sikh nation would be called Khalsa Panth. By taking amrit, the brotherhood of Khalsa formed, where all castes became one and everyone was deemed equal. The Panj Pyare (Beloved Five) were named here as they were the ones who were willing to lay their own life down for Guru Gobind Singh Ji. He was one with them as they were with him. These five were the first to take amrit. The birth of Khalsa represented a nation of saint-soldiers, worshippers of one God, friends and servants of man; a brotherhood in which all were to be equal in all respects and in which all castes were united to form one caste. Anandpur became prosperous in the times of Guru Gobind Singh Ji as he spent 25 years of his life here and the chaar sahibzaades were born in this town. Anandpur Sahib is the name of the gurudwara that is in Anandpur and it continues to emphasize and strengthen the vision of the gurus of peace and brotherhood.